30 April 2014

Z is for Zoning Out

Woo, we made it! It's the last post of the A to Z Challenge! I'll admit that coming up with an idea for Z wasn't easy. I didn't have some grand finale planned for my last A to Z post. But then I realized there is something I do that is a central part of my writing process. And that is zoning out.

I'm sure when most people zone out, their minds go completely blank. I guess if that's true, then I've never really zoned out at all. Really, it's impossible to turn my brain off completely, even when I'm trying to fall asleep. There are always thoughts running through my mind. Most of the time, those thoughts are about the fictional characters I've created and their lives.

Since I was eight years old, I've always pictured stories in my head. I make up other people and the things they go through, then eventually write those stories down. I really have never been able to understand how everyone doesn't do this. So when I zone out, I'm not thinking of nothing. I'm thinking of people, places, situations, even worlds--all things that I've created.

I love to picture scenes from my stories in my head before I write them down. It's a bit of a rush to mold every aspect, every character and what they're doing, figuring everything out so that it's perfect before I actually put it into words. I picture these scenes over and over again until they drive me absolutely nuts and I just have to write them down. Once they're written, though, I have a hard time picturing them with the same clarity and passion that I did before. But that's what rereading is for, I guess--making sure the words match the scene I saw in my head, and then getting to read that scene over and over again.

So I guess I could say that zoning out is a part of my writing process. It's basically how I brainstorm. Plus, it's a great way to kill some time. :)

8 comments:

  1. I relate to this so much. I just have to be careful not to zone out when I'm supposed to be here. :) Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoning out is a great way to write! I always end up getting ideas when I'm trying to fall asleep. It's nice but also a pain. haha

    Congratulations on making it to the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter what I do, whenever I daydream my scenes, even if I've done it over days and to what I believe is perfection, when writing it down, it NEVER comes out the same!
    Something always changes, be it the dialogue, place or mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, we need to zone out, too. Congratulations for being a survivor. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Congratulations on reaching Z. Hope you have a nice reward planned! Great to meet you through the Challenge; looking forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I think most people clear their minds, not fill them with something else. Mind you, it is very difficult to wipe everything from your mind. Glad you made it through the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love zoning out! A lot of time I do it on stories that are just for me, and won't ever make it onto a page- they're just for fun. And congrats- you did it!!! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew! We did it. Congrats on finishing A to Z.

    ReplyDelete