21 August 2015

Excuses, Excuses

So I didn't write a blog post on Wednesday, or even look at a single post from anyone else. And I didn't feel bad about it one little bit. On Tuesday I woke up with a sore throat that was turning into a full blown cold by the next day. I mean, who gets sick in August?? Me, apparently. So I just didn't feel like blogging. It happens from time to time.

It's a hard thing to keep up with, especially when I try to blog three times a week. It's hard to come up with ideas sometimes, so when you pile on not feeling well onto the mental block, you just don't even feel like turning on your computer. But it's ok, right? People take week or even month long blog breaks and nobody really cares. I just always feel like I should tell people when I'm not blogging, but I've already written so many "I don't feel like blogging" posts that another one just seems silly.

But getting sick has really thrown me off with everything. I tried restarting my diet on Monday but now that's out the window. Mostly because my cold has limited me to four food groups: oatmeal, scrambled eggs, Powerade, and coffee Coolatas. I just want to lay in bed and watch TV and not do anything else--like say, exercising.

This has gotten me thinking about excuses. We make them all of the time. We put things off. It usually takes me awhile to make the bed every day just because I don't want to disturb my cat. There are a million things I seem to be putting off at any given time--going to the doctor or dentist, getting my hair cut, *cough cough* finishing the third draft of my novel *cough.* I can't even begin to tell you all of the excuses I've had for putting off my diet or not going to the gym.

I've got a million excuses for not writing, all of them piled on top of each other. I think it really boils down to just not feeling like it. Of course, that feeling is caused by a million other excuses. So at what point do I stop making excuses and just start writing already? I don't know! I feel like I always have all the answers, but actually working through things and getting something done is easier said than done. But maybe if I stopped making excuses, it will be a little bit easier. Who knows?

What do you make excuses for? Writing????

7 comments:

  1. I usually put off house work. All week I've been saying I need to clean. Well, the bathroom got done, but that's it. Honestly what helps me from making excuses is blogging about the goals I set. A friend created #writemotivation and you blog your goals then use the hashtag (which I haven't been doing) to update you goals and well as blog about the updates. I do midmonth goal checkins. It really helps because the goals are written down and I want see them crossed off.

    And before you make an excuse saying you've tried and it didn't work, shush. Try again. With ONE goal. That's my challenge to you. Publicly set one goal (make it anything) and try to accomplish it. I'm going to leave this here for you too. http://www.kthanna.com/writemotivation/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you on the not blogging part. I just came back from an on and off two month blogging hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I hope you feel better. Take care!

    I'm learning that you can't always wait until you feel like doing something, feel strong, feel confident, etc. Sometimes you have to take the steps, take action, first and then feelings will often come later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am super close to finishing my novel. But I lost my job yesterday (such a great day) and I've been using that as an excuse not to write. Which ticks me off, b/c I do not want to associate that reason for not finishing. I am going to finish that book before the weekend is done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should keep Glucerna in for times like this. I was really sick at the beginning of the year and didn't feel like eating anything. Hubby got me some glucerna and it worked wonders.

    Excuses - don't want to do it or don't feel like doing it and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you're feeling better! And it's okay to take a break from writing every now and then; it's clear that you're dedicated to writing, but sometimes other things come up, like getting sick, work, or other stuff. I've had to take several breaks from blogging, due to my move to another state.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW DARE YOU NOT BLOG...joking ;) Maybe...seriously though, I've hardly blogged all summer so no hard feelings! I hope you're feeling better, summer colds are the absolute WORST! *sends get better hugs*

    ReplyDelete