19 October 2015

Write Anything

I'm sure a lot of writers have a specific process for working on a story. Maybe they outline before they start writing, or start at the beginning and go straight through to the end. Outlines have never really been my thing, so I've always been more of a pantser than a planner. But I think I take the pantser thing to a whole other level. Because not only do I pretty much never outline, but I don't write things in order, either.

I can honestly say the only thing I've ever worked on 100% in order from the first chapter to the last was the second draft of Uneven Lines, and that was a half edit/half rewrite. So really I've never written anything from start to finish. Why? I usually work on whichever part is inspiring me the most. Especially with a first draft, there will usually be one or two scenes that I'll keep thinking about over and over again until I actually write them down. Once they're finished, they're usually replaced by something new. It can be any part of the story, so most of the time I write out of order, but with a general idea of how things will eventually tie together.

Sometimes this strategy works, and other times it doesn't. Maybe that's why when I'm not feeling particularly inspired by anything, I don't work on anything. And not writing just seems to lead to even less inspiration, so it becomes a vicious cycle. So what do you do when you rely on that inspiration and it just isn't happening?

There are a few options. You could force yourself to work on a specific part. Maybe something you think will be easy, or just the next part of the story. Or you can just wait it out and hope for any spark of inspiration. I try to pay extra close attention to that voice of inspiration. There usually isn't a day that goes by where I'm not thinking about some aspect of my story, whether it's my main project, one of its sequels, or even just some random bit of background info on a character. I'm trying to get into the mindset of just going with the flow. No matter what part I'm thinking of, start writing.

Lately, for instance, a few scenes from Book 3 have been on my mind. When I was trying to fall asleep last night, some actual words started to pop into my head (and they weren't terrible!). So why fight it? Just because I really should be working on the first book instead? At this point I'd be thrilled to write anything, especially if it's within the universe of the story I should be working on. It would still be better than nothing.

So instead of just thinking about these other ideas, or just jotting down a note here or there, why not write a whole scene? Maybe even a whole chapter? Sure, it may be a distraction from focusing on the first book, but if I'm not actually working on it, why not take advantage of the inspiration? I've let it slip away way too many times to just not write anything. I think it would be better to write something unnecessary than to not write anything at all.

Do you write things in order? What do you do when a different project is distracting you from your main one?

12 comments:

  1. I never write in order. I jump around from one chapter to another, and occasionally from one book to another. I'll follow the inspiration wherever it may lead me. I think it can be good to have a distraction from the main project once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually use a detailed outline and write in order unless I get stuck on a scene then I'll skip it to finish later. But with my current WIP, which I started last week, I write a scene near the middle, then jumped to a scene close to the end. Now I'm trying to write the beginning, but it was so much fun hopping around to write the scenes I felt like writing at that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If writing out of order works for you, go for it. I could confuse myself. I have to write from front to back so I know I've smoothed out all the wrinkles.
    Inspiration? Music. Go jam some music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to write a detailed synopsis before I begin writing my novel. Generally, I try to write in order - simply because if I feel like if I don't, I'll skip all the boring scenes (not that there should be any ;)) and then I won't want to write them at the end. But I have been wondering about writing out of order for my latest project, to see if it inspires me to write any more. I always get distracted by different projects, but I've had to be firm with myself now - I'll write down any inspiration I get for a new project, but I refuse to let myself start writing it until my current one is finished :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to write in order although I have been known to skip a few chapters if I hit a wall but know how I want things to go later in the story. I have always been a bit of pantser as far as planning (or lack of!) goes, however with my latest WIP I did make a timeline and some outlines before I started and it has helped me keep going.

    As for inspiration , I say go with what is calling at the moment, you never know where it might lead you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always write in order. Which makes being stumped on a scene annoying because I want to get moving. I think it's how my brain works. Point A to point B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never written a book the same way twice. That is, I've started at the end, then worked my way back from the beginning to that end. I've written the beginning, then plunked plot stuff in the middle until I knew the end. I could go on, but I guess I just have to put the story down the way it comes. No rules here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never write in order, either. I always underwrite so I have to go back and add scenes to flesh it out (not padding, just making the story make sense, sometimes I don't bother making sense in my first draft!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a linear kind of guy when it comes to writing, so doing things out of order has a severe tendency to really mess with my hear (nothing worse than going off on a beautiful tangent with a story, only to realize later that you wrote something completely different in the previous two dozen pages).

    Smashwords

    Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I start by thinking about specific scenes that occurred to me while I was pondering the story. It's not until I start getting ideas for a bunch a scenes before I begin thinking about what the plot my be. Perhaps that's kind of backwards, but that's what works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My current WIP has been mostly written out of order since I started it over essentially from scratch last November. That's really helped me with writing faster, and leaving sections which are too emotionally challenging or need more research for later, when I'm ready to deal with them. This is extremely unusual for me, since I always write in order and watch my characters and storylines organically unfolding and oftentimes taking different directions from my initial notes and plans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to get in that mindset. I'll think of a scene that's out of order, and sometimes I'll write it, but I'll put it in a separate document until it's time for it. lol

    ReplyDelete